History of Ilheus
The history of Ilheus dates back to the time of the captaincies, when D.John III donated vast expanse of land, 50 leagues wide, the donee Jorge de Figueiredo Correia, the royal court clerk.Installed in 1535 in Tinharé, old domain of the Captaincy of Ilhéus, the administrative headquarters soon moved to the region of Foz do Rio Cachoeira, called the Bay of Ilheus.Even if talk of the earth the greatest wonders, the donee of chose the luxury and splendor of the court, sending the Spanish despot Francisco Romero to represent him in the admini- stration of the captaincy, moreover, face and then pacify the bravery of Indians tupinambás.
Vila de São Jorge dos Ilheus So the friendship of the colonists with the natives made possible the cultural foundation of São Jorge dos Ilheus village, which became parish in 1556 by order of D.Pero Fernandes Sardinha.Considered by Tomé de Sousa as "the best thing this coast, to farm" the region has become a producer of sugarcane and won many buildings.But with the arrival of fierce Aimorés Indians, who began attacking plantations, Ilhéus suffered economic decline that resulted in decay.In the eighteenth century with the importation of cocoa seedlings of the Amazon and its remarkable adaptation to the climatic conditions of the region, Islanders saw shining before him a new eldorado.Cocoa cultivation began to generate an endless number of stories, greed feared, loves and struggles for power, creating a breeding ground for the novels of Adonijah Son and Jorge Amado, which narrate the unbridled passions of colonels for money, women and land.
Captaincy donating Ilheus - 1534 The letter of donation of the Captaincy of Ilhéus Jorge de Figueiredo Correia was signed in Évora to June 26, 1534.The grantee sent in its place the servant or agent Francisco Romero, who first settled on the island of Tinharé, where is the Morro de São Paulo and later, when they discovered what would later be the Bay of Pontal, were enchanted and established the headquarters of captaincy , giving the name of São Jorge dos Ilheus, a tribute to the donee Jorge and Islanders, because of the number of islands found in its coastline.In addition to that there are today, as the Islanders Stone, Ilheusinho, Itapitanga Stone and Frades Island, the hills of Pernambuco and the current Hill of San Sebastian were also islands.
Village Progress In the first fifteen years the village was huge progress and attracted all kinds of people.In 1556 the village already had a parish church and relative production of sugarcane.Figueiredo Jorge donated pieces of land that were called allotments to several important figures of the kingdom, and in 1537 donated a land grant to Mem de Sa, which would be the third governor-general of Brazil, located in what was called Engenho de Santana, and where today is located the Engenho River town.There are still traces of this device that was exploited by the Jesuits and where is located the chapel of Our Lady of Santana, considered the third oldest church in Brazil.In 1551, with the death of the donee captaincy changed hands several times and fell into obscurity, becoming just another fishing village on the coast of this vast country.
French Attack - 1595 When, in 1595, the French attacked Ilheus and were repulsed, already existed in the harbor entrance Santo Antonio fort, transformed in 1611 in strong stone and lime.
Home cocoa plantation In 1754 the Portuguese government ended the system of hereditary captaincies and Brazilian lands returned to government hands.It was then that began the cocoa plantation.The first seeds were brought from Pará, because cocoa is plant native to the Amazon region, the French Louis Frédéric Warneaux, and planted in the cubicle farm on the banks of the River Pardo, today municipality of Canavieiras.At that time I was not aware of the importance of chocolate in the food and thought only in cultivating sugarcane, which was what really surrendered.It was not until the next century, in the first decades the Germans arrived in the region and in 1821 began planting cocoa as cash crop.Until 1890 were foreigners planted cocoa.From this date it is that there was a race for the occupation of land.
City Islanders - 1881 On June 28, 1881 Ilheus was elevated to city status, an action endorsed by Paranaguá Marquis.In 1913 the city was transformed into bishopric.The Brazilian government donated land to those who wanted to plant cocoa.Came Sergipe and people fleeing northeastern drought, the state itself and everywhere, in ten years the population has grown from an explosive way, planted to cacao in abundance, people came looking for the Eldorado and the region has changed its appearance.At this time began to build beautiful public buildings like the Paranagua Palace which houses today the City Hall and the headquarters of the Commercial Association of Ilheus; beautiful houses, such as "Colonel" Misael Tavares and the Herbert family, a copy of the Catete Palace in Rio de Janeiro and many other beautiful buildings.
Prosperity In the twenties of the last century, Islanders bustled with people, money, luxury and wealth.It was built the building Ilhéos Hotel (the old spelling), the first elevator in the Northeast, a work still imposing, and the Municipal Theatre which was in ruins, but that was renovated and is considered one of the best equipped of the Northeast and outside capital.Islanders always excelled at taste and the refinement, always had much connection with the Federal Capital, Rio de Janeiro (as capital of the country) and also with Europe.In 1921, when opened, his house, "Colonel" Misael Tavares made a feast and the dinner menu was written in French.It was common for families own pianos, often to tail in their homes and to farms.They came from Europe in ships.
Port of Ilheus - 1924 cocoa exports was a problem, as was done by the port of Salvador.There was much difficulty in boarding and loss of quality and weight.In 1924, the cacao farmers began building the port of Ilheus with own resources, and cocoa export began to be made directly in the city, bringing with it the presence of foreigners and cultural exchange with European countries.At this time they came dancers, magicians, and also aventurei- ros to entertain people who had money.
There were cabarets, nightclubs, casinos.The city was busy and it is this time narrated by Jorge Amado in his novels.A time of a lot of money and very luxurious.
CEPLAC and UESC The large cash flow caused by the production and export of cocoa led to peculiarities in the development of the Cocoa Coast Region, geostrategic region of Bahia.The development of production and the search for better quality in this commodity led regional leaders and producers to create CEPLAC, Executive Committee of Development and Preservation of Cocoa Farming.Today an agency of the Ministry of Agriculture, with important research center, CEPEC.The regional demand for higher education pursued in the 1940s and 1950s in Salvador, especially the children of cocoa colonels, generated the desire for deployment of colleges and higher education institutions in the region.The UESC, Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, is the result of this demand, and today becomes Northeastern reference in vocational higher education, and it stands as an important scientific production institution in the northeast, the second of Bahia, only overcome by UFBA.
The city of Sao Jorge dos Ilheus is situated in prime location.Dotted with plenty of water, your arrival by plane is very beautiful and exciting.The city center is located on an artificial island formed by the rivers Almada waterfall and Itacanoeira (or Fundão) and also the channels Alligator and Itaípe, the latter built in the end of the century ancestor by naval engineer François Gaston Lavigne, officer of Napoleon's army.This canal was built to facilitate the passage of canoes that brought cocoa from the Almada River region for shipment at the port.Composing the area of environmental protection of the river basin of this river, the Enchanted Lagoon has unique natural beauty, high level of environmental protection, beautiful boating with waterfalls and contact with nature.
Witch's broom From the mid-eighties, the cocoa monoculture suffered a serious blow to its main feature which was to generate a lot of wealth.The constant drought caused by El Niño, low international prices and last plague called witch's broom, made of cacao a less profitable activity.If for some this represented sorrow and anguish for the region made it possible to think of other profitable activities.Then Ilheus reborn, this time for tourism.The implementation of industrial projects and computer polo appearance have also been developing alternative.The city has infrastructure that allows, better than any other in the state, which developed volva this activity more people in the world look, which is the pleasure and the desire to relax and relieve the body of stress increasing work.Hawaizinho, Olivenza, Mill River, are some of the sights worth visiting to Ilheus.The kind and hospitable population, polite and respectful to tourists more.